WHICH GREENHOUSE? Help me choose

First Name
Anthony
Hi,
we are a small farm about 2 acres located on east Long Island and have decided to invest in having our own greenhouse.
We're looking into a gable style structure in the range of about 200 SF and 250 SF.
I've attached here the ones I narrowed down.
Here's some extra information to help you and anybody in this forum to give pin point suggestion.
We are a 13 acre farm, located on east Long Island and have decided to invest in having our own greenhouse.
We're looking into a gable style structure in the range of about 200 SF and 250 SF.
I've attached here the ones I narrowed down. I grow vegetables, flowers and berries on less than 2 acres.
Initially, 2 years ago, the goal of this farm was to produce food for the sole consumption of the owners, 3 siblings with their families and friends.
This coming season we are starting to grow in the fields as well as we are going to have an on site farm stand to sell produce and flowers along with establishing a couple of wholesales accounts.
So far we have been starting seed for transplants at a friend farm, but we have decided to grow out arrangement and have our own greenhouse.
So in choosing what structure and size, I'm considering that we are small with the potential to grow and expand. Yet I don't think we should invest in a commercial size greenhouse because our production volume would not justify it.
So the greenhouses I looked at and posted here are somehow larger hobby greenhouses and smaller commercial ones.
The size we came up with would be around 200 SF (ideally 10x20)
We would use it to start seedlings for transplanting, though when august comes and there is not much seeding left to do, I would like to remove the benches and grow winter greens as in a cold frame, without heat and with extra row cover protecting the crops inside when freezing.
So the idea would be to place wide removable benches over 30" wide raised beds during seeding season then take down the benches and saw crops from transplant to maturity in the beds.
They all start at around $10.000 except for the last one listed here, which is less than $5000 sold by ACF.
They say it's supposed to be even better than one of the Cross Country and justifying the low price with the fact that is mass produced in China. The price is tempting me but I don't know if I should trust something made in China.

Attachments

jordan

Gotta get a Greenhouse!
First Name
Jordan
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum. That's neat that you are actually starting a business using your growing skills. I don't own a greenhouse yet, so I don't know if I can be of help in helping you choose. Where I live, we have a lot of big nurseries, but I find if I buy my starts from one of the smaller mom and pop setups, they do better. I think it is because they start them in the area where I live rather than trucking in the plants from someplace else. Best of luck!

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello, I hope you don't mind me giving you advice, but personally I would choose the 3rd option.
Welcome @fatima-roosh ! I see you joined a while back; delighted to see you posting! I'm not sure what greenhouses @thonyc1968 has narrowed it down to. I hope we find out. Just curious, what makes you decide on the third one?

First Name
Jeffrey
Hi,
we are a small farm about 2 acres located on east Long Island and have decided to invest in having our own greenhouse.
I've attached here the ones I narrowed down.
Here's some extra information to help you and anybody in this forum to give pin point suggestion.
We are a 13 acre farm, located on east Long Island and have decided to invest in having our own greenhouse.
I've attached here the ones I narrowed down. I grow vegetables, flowers and berries on less than 2 acres.
Initially, 2 years ago, the goal of this farm was to produce food for the sole consumption of the owners, 3 siblings with their families and friends.
This coming season we are starting to grow in the fields as well as we are going to have an on site farm stand to sell produce and flowers along with establishing a couple of wholesales accounts.
So far we have been starting seed for transplants at a friend farm, but we have decided to grow out arrangement and have our own greenhouse.
So in choosing what structure and size, I'm considering that we are small with the potential to grow and expand. Yet I don't think we should invest in a commercial size greenhouse because our production volume would not justify it.
So the greenhouses I looked at and posted here are somehow larger hobby greenhouses and smaller commercial ones.
The size we came up with would be around 200 SF (ideally 10x20)
We would use it to start seedlings for transplanting, though when august comes and there is not much seeding left to do, I would like to remove the benches and grow winter greens as in a cold frame, without heat and with extra row cover protecting the crops inside when freezing.
So the idea would be to place wide removable benches over 30" wide raised beds during seeding season then take down the benches and saw crops from transplant to maturity in the beds.
They all start at around $10.000 except for the last one listed here, which is less than $5000 sold by ACF.
They say it's supposed to be even better than one of the Cross Country and justifying the low price with the fact that is mass produced in China. The price is tempting me but I don't know if I should trust something made in China.
Hello, not sure if you have chosen a greenhouse yet, but have you looked at www.greenhousemegastore.com then went to greenhouses then greenhouse packages (bottom right)? I keep getting drawn to the Garden Grower Package. It has free shipping and includes heating, cooling ect. The prices look great and good reviews but hard to put together if that is an issue, they can help install. Do as much or as little as you want. If you are member of the Hobby Greenhouse Association you can get an additional 5% discount. If I am steering him wrong please let me know thanks.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi @Superpickle. Unfortunately we haven't heard from @thonyc1968 in a while so we're not sure what he decided. I believe the "Garden Grower" greenhouse that Greenhouse Megastore (the International Greenhouse Company) sells is actually the Conley's Hobby House. I actually referred Anthony to Conley's before we started selling the Conley's Hobbyhouse, but never learned what he decided. GMS has put it together with Modine environmental extras in a real nice package. The specs for this greenhouse can be adjusted depending on local soil compaction, wind and snow loads (extra cost), but the "standard" is sufficient in most cases. It is the only hobby greenhouse made in America that is actually engineered and you can get certified blueprints and specs for if wanted/needed....very helpful if you live in a municipality that has stringent building codes. This is a great greenhouse, but you are right; it is not a project for the weekend warrior. It takes some building skills (more than the average homeowner has) or needs to be installed by a professional. I don't think you can go wrong if you are considering this greenhouse, nor can Anthony. I encourage you to shop around if you decide to purchase this greenhouse because it is sold by several websites, some under the Conley name like we do, some under other names like GMS and prices can vary. You can even contact the Conley rep directly and you might get even a better deal. His name is Chris Kirschner and his cell number is (217) 299-1210. I would only ask that if you contact Chris, you tell him I referred you. You need to be careful in purchasing "big ticket" greenhouses because prices can vary greatly from one dealer to the next. BTW, GMS has already written "free shipping" and the extra "5%" discount into their price, so in reality, your not getting any better deal (this is common practice in the industry)....and, I am not saying that because I am trying to get your business because I don't know if I could even get you the best deal. I can't encourage folks enough to do their due diligence before making a purchase of this magnitude. It's nice to have you with us, Jeffrey and we look forward to your participation. BTW...are you a member of HGA?

First Name
Jeffrey
Hi @Superpickle. Unfortunately we haven't heard from @thonyc1968 in a while so we're not sure what he decided. I believe the "Garden Grower" greenhouse that Greenhouse Megastore (the International Greenhouse Company) sells is actually the Conley's Hobby House. I actually referred Anthony to Conley's before we started selling the Conley's Hobbyhouse, but never learned what he decided. GMS has put it together with Modine environmental extras in a real nice package. The specs for this greenhouse can be adjusted depending on local soil compaction, wind and snow loads (extra cost), but the "standard" is sufficient in most cases. It is the only hobby greenhouse made in America that is actually engineered and you can get certified blueprints and specs for if wanted/needed....very helpful if you live in a municipality that has stringent building codes. This is a great greenhouse, but you are right; it is not a project for the weekend warrior. It takes some building skills (more than the average homeowner has) or needs to be installed by a professional. I don't think you can go wrong if you are considering this greenhouse, nor can Anthony. I encourage you to shop around if you decide to purchase this greenhouse because it is sold by several websites, some under the Conley name like we do, some under other names like GMS and prices can vary. You can even contact the Conley rep directly and you might get even a better deal. His name is Chris Kirschner and his cell number is (217) 299-1210. I would only ask that if you contact Chris, you tell him I referred you. You need to be careful in purchasing "big ticket" greenhouses because prices can vary greatly from one dealer to the next. BTW, GMS has already written "free shipping" and the extra "5%" discount into their price, so in reality, your not getting any better deal (this is common practice in the industry)....and, I am not saying that because I am trying to get your business because I don't know if I could even get you the best deal. I can't encourage folks enough to do their due diligence before making a purchase of this magnitude. It's nice to have you with us, Jeffrey and we look forward to your participation. BTW...are you a member of HGA?
Thank you for the input. Yes I am a member of HGA. I live in Michigan and researching greenhouses can be overwhelming. I do plan on using mine year round, so heating during Michigan winters is one of the challenges. I also go back and forth to a lean-to style, which I think would do better with heating during the winter and a free style greenhouse. You are correct about doing your research with so many options out there. I look forward to learning a lot here. Thank you again.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I figured you are a member of HGA since you mentioned the 5% discount. I am also a member. I bought my greenhouse before I knew much of what having a greenhouse entails. I bought a Sunshine Gardenhouse Mt. Rainier 8 x 16. (https://hobbygreenhousegrowers.org/threads/moonshadows-greenhouse.31/) Since then, I have had to do a lot of "retrofitting" so I can use the greenhouse outside of Spring and Fall, including insulation and solar heat storage. Someday, I hope to buy my ideal greenhouse. I like the Ceres Greenhouses (https://www.ceresgs.com/), and I like the Growing Spaces Growing Domes even better (https://geodesic-greenhouse-kits.com/). One of our members, @plantmanager owns a 15' Growing Dome. A lean to could help with heat if you can place the north wall against your house. Take your time and don't be impulsive or buy without full knowledge like I did. I don't regret it, but I definitely would do it differently now. It's nice to have you with us Jeff, and we look forward to your participation.