Which floor do I choose?

I am in zone 6 up in the mountains. I was thinking of starting out with just a soil floor but I don't know if that will be satisfactory. Does anyone out there know the best inexpensive flooring I can start my small, portable greenhouse with?

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I use pea gravel. It is the cheapest in our area and holds moisture well... Some people live the fancy brick and others do more expensive things...

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I used screenings (fine rock particles and rock dust). I put it down, smoothed it and wet it. That packs it down pretty solid, but still allows water to be absorbed. I bought it at my local nursery. If you wind up using, pea gravel, screenings or some other type of gravel, and you have a way to haul what you need, check out any local quarry you may have in your area. Often you can get it cheaper if you buy it directly from them.

Do you build a square "form" for the bottom of the greenhouse?

Thank you for all the great replies. I am like a sponge and I plan to absorb all the information I can about greenhouses before I actually buy it.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
@GreenThumb If your greenhouse is not going to have a foundation and just rest on the ground you can just dig an area and fill it with gravel. My greenhouse rests on a foundation of 6 x 6 Tamarack wood. Here is how I did it.

Keep in mind, you need to anchor your greenhouse so it does not move off its base or get blown over in the wind. My greenhouse is anchored to this foundation with brackets screwed into the greenhouse base and wood foundation, and I also drove 2 1/2' pieces of rebar through the foundation beams into the ground.
009.jpg

010.JPG

012.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this is great. I'm so impressed with your know-how. I will probably use gravel with base forms to tie down to. I live on the top of a mountain in the Lincoln National Forrest but the wind doesn't blow bad here much. We are in a valley so if I have problems, I'll just drop some cemented anchors at the corners. Thanks.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
I have such a small property that I put mine on my deck. I added 2" styrofoam to the floor area to stop air flowing up and to add insulation. I did build a base and attach it to the deck then anchored the greenhouse to it. I think that whatever you do, remember to leave access for feeding hoses or wires etc. I have gaps in the base through which I have fed a gas line, electrical wires, watering lines etc. Any openings left, I stuff sponges and mesh into to keep out any intruders.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have a lot of moles, voles, gophers, etc, so initially we put down hardware cloth on top of the dirt for the greenhouse. Later we put sand and gravel over the mesh and then put down red paver blocks. I haven't had any critters get in from the floor, but they do come in the door and vents when they're open! My hard water is turning the red blocks white wherever it runs out of pots. I used to be nitpicky and clean them with vinegar, but I've quit doing that. I figure this is my hobby, and it doesn't really matter whether the whole place is pristine and magazine photo perfect.