What did you do in your greenhouse or for your greenhouse today?

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Spent almost 3 hours working in my greenhouse today. I cut some cedar 2 x 4's into 1/4" x 1 1/2" strips and nailed them around the perimeter of the greenhouse on top of the 6" x 6" foundation. I got the bottom of the Reflectix insulation taped to these new boards, and they held the tape well. I emptied the 6 - 5 gallon black buckets. I won't need them anymore with the 4 - 55 gallon drums I will use. I also tidied up a bit so it looks like a greenhouse again and not a war zone.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
I did a bit of cleaning and dead heading in my greenhouse. Topped off the little pond. I have Italian leaf lettuce germinating! I also have a Marbled Rainbow Vriesia going into bloom. It's only a year since this pup emerged from the parent plant.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Karen, how many gallons is the pond in your greenhouse. Do you have fish in it? if so, what kind and how many? I love the idea of a pond within a greenhouse, and if I am correct, the company you bought your greenhouse from has the pond as a standard part of the package, right?

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi, their website has no info on sizes of the tanks, but my husband used his calculus and figured out it is 600 gallons. I had fancy goldfish in it the first year. I had to feed them, and they died when the water got too cold. Now I have mosquito fish that are happy eating algae and insects that fall in. I suspect they also eat the babies that hatch. There must be about 100 little fish in there. The largest are about 2 inches. I've wondered about growing Tilapia in it for eating, but haven't done any investigating. The pond does help keep the GH warmer and more humid. It is a standard part of the greenhouse package.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's a nice size pond your have in that greenhouse. Lot's of thermal mass for regulating the temperature and humidity. I'm surprised your goldfish died. Mine are doing fine in water that is in the upper 30's right now. Not sure about tilapia, but I have heard of people who do aquaponics raising them for food.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
It may not have been the cold. It could have been because I didn't have any aeration. In winter, the solar fountain only runs intermittently instead of almost full time every day like it does in summer. I figured the oxygen dissolving into the water from the surface would be enough, but maybe it wasn't.
People call Tilapia a junk fish because it eats like a carp or catfish, but in controlled environments we could make sure it only ate the good stuff!

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would imagine they would. I have 8 sarassa comets. I really like them. All were bought at about 2" long. I have 2 of them that must be about 6" after less than a year. The others are at least 4". They should top out between 8-12" and live a long life if something doesn't get them or I develop a water problem some where along the way.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
We had a pond once and used to watch a heron who would come by every year to feed on the fish. He was very patient, and would nearly always end up with a fish dinner. Have you had any fish eaters come by?

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
None that I have seen, although a couple of times the dwarf cattail has been knocked over. Not sure if it was a critter looking for a meal or the wind. My raised pond has the advantage of no shallow (shoreline) water, so it would be very difficult for the raccoons. They don't want to jump in. Herons can be very persistent and are good fishers.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
Herons are good at it! If they found your pond, they'd just stand on the wood and bend over very slowly. It takes them a long time to slowly bend down far enough to grab a fish. We watched one once and it took over an hour of standing there almost motionless before he managed to grab one. There were enough fish in the pond that we didn't mind losing a few to the birds.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yesterday, I leveled and placed slate where the 4 drums will sit in the greenhouse. I also measured and added wire shelving units that will sit on top of the drums...one set for each two drums....4' wide x 1.5' deep x 3 levels. Along with the stand-alone shelf unit, that will give me 36' x 1.5' of growing space (54 square feet) in addition to the 36 square feet in the cold frames. That's 90 square feet of growing space. I figure I can squeeze out some more if I need it on either side of the cold frames where I have a total of another 9 square feet of space. I don't think that is too bad...99 square feet out of a total of 128 square feet...hey, do need an aisle and some storage! I was hoping to get the holes drilled in the drums today, but I have a lot of errands to do with this storm coming tomorrow. Maybe I can spend a little time out there.

I also ordered two more temperature monitors with wet probes. One will get placed in the first barrel coming from the collector boxes, and one will get placed in the last barrel before the return to the collectors. That will make 5 monitors in all: one outside the greenhouse, one inside the greenhouse, one inside one of the cold frames, one in barrel 1, and one in barrel 4. I have started writing the temperatures down in my new gardening journal at 3:30 am, 12 noon and 5pm. I want to be able to compare similar weather days and temperatures to see what affect the heated barrels will have once the system is operational.

31LNyM4KJhL.jpg

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Same thing here. I can start to put things out by early May even though our last official frost date is around Memorial Day. Most years I cheat and don't get a "chilling experience". I always grow extras just in case.