What did you do in your greenhouse or for your greenhouse today?

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
For me, at this time of year I have zero plants in the greenhouse but I do try to get out there and putter about. Moving things or rewiring this and that. And I do things indoors to get prepped for when I open the greenhouse and start heating it.
I just wondered what others do in their greenhouses at different times of the year.
Today, I will be taking one of the hinges off the door - it must have gotten bent slightly when it got slammed about in a high wind and now it is preventing the door from closing tightly at the top. Got to get that fixed long before heating time!
How about you? What are you doing?

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Good thread, Lori! thumbsup.gif This one will wind up being a mainstay for many members to post in. writing.png I really don't have a greenhouse schedule. Many times getting things ready for the Spring depends on the weather. If it is cold and overcast, the greenhouse is cold. If it is cold and sunny, that's a whole different story. Those are the days I may do some work in there. Yesterday, I don't think it got above freezing, but it was so sunny my greenhouse was easily in the 80's and under the cold frames, it was over 100. Since the four drums I bought held coconut oil in their previous lives, I wanted to see how clean/dirty they are inside, so I took the top off of one. There is residual coconut oil in the bottom...wow is that stuff slick...I want to clean it out before I add any water. I have to wait for a warmer day and take each drum outside and clean them with hot water. I also built a "jig" on my workbench and laid out the tubing to get measurements on exactly how big to build each solar collector for my hot water storage. Now, tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be in the upper 40's, so I'll work in my workshop starting to build the 2 solar collectors. I'm a bit nervous about drilling through the 2 plexiglass sheets to attach them with screws. Plexiglass, while strong, can be temperamental when it comes to drilling. They cost $30 a piece. Don't want to have to buy replacements before I use them! Today, is MoonShadows Farm work...getting a couple of wholesale orders done.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
See if you can find some way to clamp them, Jim, or find someone else to hold it while you drill.

I will go out to see how the GH is doing. I hand water cacti depending on how they look. I constantly have to deadhead flowers and prune back plants that are trying to reach the ceiling. We had to dig out a huge Dracaena marginata that hit the ceiling. Sometimes I have to refill the holding pond to keep the level up. Mostly I do clean up of fallen leaves. Bug checks are daily since I've had almost everything known to man! I can putter in there for hours when it's not too cold or too hot.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
See if you can find some way to clamp them, Jim, or find someone else to hold it while you drill.

I will go out to see how the GH is doing. I hand water cacti depending on how they look. I constantly have to deadhead flowers and prune back plants that are trying to reach the ceiling. We had to dig out a huge Dracaena marginata that hit the ceiling. Sometimes I have to refill the holding pond to keep the level up. Mostly I do clean up of fallen leaves. Bug checks are daily since I've had almost everything known to man! I can putter in there for hours when it's not too cold or too hot.
Yes...somewhere I read clamping does help.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
@MoonShadows I used my little girlie cordless drill and a tea light candle and had no problems. I was needing holes to put a nut and bolt through. Ended up using teflon bolt and wing nuts. Worked well.

Yes, slow and even pressure but I am not kidding - heating the bit really helped. :)
Is the little girlie drill, pink? ;)

19915709e013494cfad39fccb2c03bcd.jpg
I am using screws with neoprene washers. I also plan to put down a bead of high-temperature sealant. I don't want any dust to get inside. Plexi can hold a lot of static electricity. I don't want dust building up on the inside of the box and sticking to the plexi. I have that problem with my 2 solar window heaters, but there is not much I can do since the cold air has to be drawn into the unit.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
:LOL: well @waretrop , at least @MoonShadows seems to keep his pristine....:p

Mine's even smaller. Has enough torque to push a 3 inch screw through pressure treat ;)

Today I pulled all of my mature plants out of my indoor growing areas and blasted them with neem oil. Saw what looked like powdery mildew and decided to be proactive and also maybe stave off a re-emergence of spider mites.

I usually don't disturb anything in there during the day because I power the lights between 7 p.m. and 7 am . Because the power is cheaper during those hours but I didn't want to wait until after 7 tonight...and besides it's hard to hold a glass of wine while spraying....:p

Last edited:
First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
I have been busy doing some wage earning work for the past few days which kept me busy. I only had time to top up the water receptacles. I don't heat my greenhouse in the dead of winter because of the high cost so instead I can only putter with my inside set up. I spent time this morning adjusting the lights over my hot pepper seedlings. This is the type of lights I use.
1517418238034.png
And the chains are too short to hang them as low as I'd like when starting seedlings so I cheat and use ladder cord - you know the stuff that hold venetian blind blades? Well it is strong enough to hold these lights so that is what I use instead of the chains. I can adjust the lights in 1" increments.

I also potted up some asparagus seedlings this morning. :)

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I did the same thing with my kitchen garden. When I bought it, the light fixture was attached to a reflector that was riveted onto a bar way too high above the canopy.
kitchen-garden01.jpg

After the first round of plants, I drilled the rivets out and attached the light to 4 chains that I could raise/lower in 1/2 inch increments, like this.

Kitchen-Garden05.jpg

This light is now out in my greenhouse. My new light came with an adjustable cord.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
I always write a to do list for the next day. Always ambitious so I don't get the entire list taken care of sometimes and then I move the undone items to the next day's list.

Tomorrow my todo has this for greenhouse/indoor set up.....I guess at the end of the day we'll see just how much did do...

Todo
Go through all of the trays of soil blocks and pull out the empties.
Pot up the blocks with fair sized seedlings.
Bring in pots from greenhouse that already have the baked soil,let thaw and use them for the peppers on Friday
Make at least 1 full tray of new soil blocks and sow them with flower seeds.

Has anyone else got a to do list? I'll post what I did and did not get done tomorrow.....

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
Okay, I didn't get my list done... spent most of the day driving my sister around.

I did bring in the pots of frozen dirt that I had baked in the fall.
I did pot up my asparagus.
I did move a few of the empty soil blocks ...
Didn't make new soil blocks... maybe tomorrow.

When I get the inside areas sorted, I'll take a picture and post it.

Now I am just sitting drinking tea and the plants don't seem to care... :)

What did you do today?

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am going out the door in a few minutes to buy another roll of Refectix insulation. I want to put it on the South and West interior walls up 3 feet from the floor. This will add to the insulation. (I'm going to put 3/4" insulation on the outside when I build the knee wall.) It will also help to reflect back the warmth from the heated water drums. I was hoping to start stapling it up today, but I won't get home until 3pm or so, and we had no sun today, so the greenhouse is cold. Maybe I'll just make a cup of tea also...or, maybe a gin and tonic! :giggle:

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I got the bottom 3 feet of the South and West walls covered with Reflectix today. This stuff is so easy to work with...just staple it on and then tape the edges and any seams with a 2 inch wide aluminum tape. I did run into one problem though. While the tape has great adhesion, it is not sticking well on the bottom (the foundation) because of the embedded dust from the crushed gravel. I think I am going to have to cut some thin wood strips, tack them down along the bottom, and then tape the Reflectix to the fresh wood.

For anyone not familiar with Reflectix, it is a reflective insulation that looks like silver bubble wrap. It is not a tradition insulation in that it prevents passage, it reflects 95% of the heat back into the room. Where I applied it last fall to the North and East, I ran it partially up the north side sloped roof. Now, when it snows what snow doesn't roll off that area stays put and doesn't melt until we get a really warm day.