Waretrop's Greenhouse

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a 14x26 Jenco greenhouse. It's supposed to be 'glass to ground'. It's not anymore...I needed to get my very tall things into it so we out the whole thing on 5 or 6 layers of cement block. Now it sits high enough for me....

It started about 32 years ago. I owned a pet shop. I was just fooling around and asked one of my customers if he know anyone that has a small, 5x7 greenhouse that was for sale. WOW, he couldn't just on it fast enough. He said he did. I couldn't believe my ears...It was so funny. So I asked how much? He said you put my down payment on my new moror cycle and you can have it. He would even deliver it..

I gave him the money and that next sunday morning he did what he said he would. He delivered all the metal. I told him I would come get all the glass for I didn't want any broken. So we got out there no instructions no previous knowledge, we began to put it together. My hubby began to think this was a tab bigger than the guy thought it was. He got it used and never got it together...It got bigger and bigger and bigger. That's how we wound up with a 14x26 greenhouse. Totally be accident. We used it there for 20 years or so and them bought our property, AKA paradise, 12 years ago and the greenhouse got disassembled and put up here. Was only an hour move but it took many months. By heating time, October, it was up and running and we has the plants in it.

njgreenhouse 1.jpg
Greenhouse in NJ Notice only 2 layers of cement block as foundation

njgreenhouse 2.jpg
Greenhouse in NJ

pagreenhouse 1.jpg
Greenhouse in Pa.

pagreenhouse 1b.jpg

pagreenhouse 2.jpg Greenhouse in Pa. Notice 5 rows of cement block

pagreenhouse 3.jpg
Greenhouse in Pa. Notice 5 rows of cement block

pagreenhouse 5.jpg
Greenhouse in Pa.

pagreenhouse 5b.jpg
Greenhouse in Pa.

pagreenhouse6.jpg
Greenhouse in Pa. Night shot

pagreenhouse 7.jpg
Greenhouse in Pa. Day shot

Hardiness Zone
8b
Wow, your greenhouse is huge! I love the classy, glass look and your "gardener's escape" area looks so relaxing. I would sit out there all day long just messing with my plants.

So, what are the extra tall plants you have growing inside?

Last edited:

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
We have beautiful gardens. I will post some as soon as I have time and figure out where it will be best. We are on our county garden tour and 3 other garden club tours. We will be backing off on the big tours for a few years and be doing more small ones. I just think people can get tired of seeing the same gardens every year.

Also, things even look nicer now that we got a brandy new driveway. We have a huge one and we had to save up a long time to get it.

I must add, you see that fella who climbs up way high??? I say, "Honey do". and he says, "Yes ma'am". He made it all happen and has figured it all out...My favorite hubby...

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
What a nice looking greenhouse...and so much room! When I bought ours, I thought 8 x 16 would be more than enough. Now, I wish I had bought one twice the size. You have a lot of permanent ornamentals it looks like. I just use ours to start seeds for plants that will eventually be moved outside. I am currently working on improving our greenhouse so I can grow cold weather crops in the winter.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
@MoonShadows That is right. There are greenhouses for starting seeds and plants, THAT'S YOU, and there are greenhouses for keeping tropical plants...THAT'S ME!!!!! some of my plants are 30 years old...

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thank you @plantmanager . I dearly love our greenhouse. We have to put up with allot of stupid stuff but it is a joy.

It seems to look different every year.

greenhouse.jpg

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
I can imagine what a joy it is. We absolutely love ours too, but I filled it up the first month! Now I'm constantly having to remove plants or prune plants to make more room for new ones. Of course most things that get pruned, get propagated so the need for more space is constant. I love giving away starts and new plants too.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
You're lucky to have the local garden clubs. This little town used to have one, but it folded just before I got here. There is a Farmer's Market every spring and summer, so if I ever get too many plants I can sell them there.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
Silver City Garden Club is only 20 minutes from you...

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
From what I understand the Silver City Garden Club quit meeting the year we came...2008. A few of the old members still maintain a rose garden at the local cemetery and they do have a thrift shop they've kept going. I should volunteer for the thrift shop and maybe I could meet some of the old members to share plants with. I remember being so excited when I'd see ads mentioning the club!

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, that's too bad . Our little town has 2 within 3 miles of each other. Actually, once in a while the one club can't meet at it's regular place and their substitute meeting place it in the building of the other club. Rather silly. They should merge. One meeting day is Tuesday and the other is Wednesday.
Same room different people. I am the only one who belongs to both. Bet they have 150 members together.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
That must be a lot of fun! I'd belong to both of them too, if I lived there. If I end up meeting enough plant lovers we might be able to start an informal club. I recently had physical therapy for my back, and my therapist was a young man (20's) who was really into training Bonsai plants. I gave him all of the Bonsai books I'd had for years and never used.