Used Pots

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
So there are plenty of ways to take care of used pots. I wash them out and soak them in 10 percent bleach solution for 10 minutes then rinse them. That goes for plastic or clay. Then I let them dry and put them in a dry clean spot.

What do you do with your used pots?

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Try not to trip over them! I have a lot of them. The little crummy ones you get from the nursery I usually clean out an put in the local recycling bin. The better ones I reuse, and I must admit, I have never cleaned them out with a bleach solution, but in the past year I've learned so much about disinfecting containers, soil and greenhouses, that I will start doing that before planting season this year. Then there are the...I don't know what I was thinking...100 - 1 gallon plastic nursery pots I bought two years ago. Most of them I haven't even used. @waretrop, you don't live far from me. Can you use some? I'd gladly gift a bunch to you.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can easily stack them inside of one another when not in use. Now that I look at them online, I think they are two gallon. Next time I'm in the shed, I'll have to measure them.

1919_7029_thumb.jpg

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
My pots seem to multiply like rabbits! I have never cleaned or bleached them and haven't had any troubles. I do nest them in stacks, and I never give them away because I always seem to need more. I also love hitting thrift shops for planter pots. When they don't have drain holes, we drill them. Those pots are a lot harder to store!