MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
World's Most Beautiful Garden Cinematic Video! Longwood Gardens

Longwood Gardens consists of over 1,077 acres (4.2 km²) of gardens, woodlands, and meadows in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, United States in the Brandywine Creek Valley. It is one of the premier botanical gardens in the United States and is open to visitors year-round to enjoy exotic plants and horticulture (both indoor and outdoor), events and performances, seasonal and themed attractions, as well as take part in educational lectures, courses, and workshops. Today the 1,077-plus acre Longwood Gardens consists of 20 outdoor gardens and 20 indoor gardens within 4.5 acres (18,200 m²) of heated greenhouses, known as conservatories. It contains 11,000 different types of plants and trees, as well as fountains. Longwood's conservatory is one of the world's greatest greenhouse structures. The conservatory alone is home to 5,500 types of plants. An exploration of the 20 indoor gardens spanning a half mile takes about an hour and a half. Gardens of the conservatory, each with its own exquisite displays of plants, include The Orangery, Silver Garden, Acacia Passage, Orchid House, Cascade Garden, Palm House, Mediterranean Garden, Tropical Terrace and the Outdoor Water Garden display. Since its original construction date in 1919, it has undergone expansions and renovations. In January 2003, the East Conservatory was closed for a renovation project, with the main hall reopening to the public on October 29, 2005.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hudson Park Greenhouse - New Rochelle, NY - circa 1915

Today, I thought I would feature the first greenhouse I ever set foot into as a young boy. The Hudson Park Greenhouse located in a 13 acre park on the Long Island Sound in New Rochelle, New York. As a kid I used to "live" at Hudson Park during the summer, spending most of my time playing in the water at the beach, but since my father worked for the Parks Department, I was, on occasion, able to venture into the greenhouse (in upper left side of boxed area). It was always a fascinating adventure to enter this warm and humid house with hundreds of plants being grown for the city’s many public buildings and street plantings.

hudson-park-aerialCrop-e1461982451122.jpg

The greenhouse, or should I say greenhouses, were built about 1915 (the exact dates for construction have not yet been discovered). According to experts knowledgeable about the Lord and Burnham style glass houses, the structures were built at two different times with the East Wing being the oldest.

Slide5.jpg

HPGBStumpphotosLilyCross.jpg

HPGBStumpphotosSStar.jpg

Unfortunately, historic pictures of the greenhouse are hard to find, and even more unfortunate is the state of dilapidation that has taken over the greenhouse since it's former glory days. Like many cities, New Rochelle has had it's highs and lows, and the greenhouse has not escaped the problems of a few decades. This is what the greenhouse looked like recently.

9-West-Greenhouse-2015-smaller-768x512.jpg

135A9708.jpg

135A9713.jpg

135A9733.jpg

37861007001_5379535455001_5379527982001-vs.jpg

Slide17.jpg

HPGH-January-2017-1-768x512.jpg

HP-greenhouse-042114-768x512.jpg

But, there is hope on the horizon. The Hudson Park Children’s Greenhouse Restoration Project Inc. is raising funds to rebuild and restore the greenhouse and transform it into an educational center.

The Vision

Hudson Park Children’s Greenhouse Inc. is dedicated to propagating environmental awareness and sustainable development in our community by providing age-appropriate, hands-on educational experiences in a safe, energy efficient and environmentally-sound setting. Building on earlier efforts by the Friends of Wildcliff Greenhouse, this will be accomplished by:

• restoring the municipal greenhouse to a fully functioning level with two greenhouses, a full basement and the Link Building housing a small office with work areas and two public bathrooms that would be fully code compliant and ensure handicap access.

• developing environmental education programs with an emphasis on horticulture and by

• serving as the root supporting a web of environmental and sustainable horticulture activities.

Funding for the initial renovation of the greenhouses will be obtained by a combination of private donations and grants. Long-term maintenance and operating costs will be funded by support from the City of New Rochelle (utilities and insurance), grants for environmental programming, private donations, fund raising activities (e.g. plant and birdseed sales) and by fees arising from persons or groups who want to plant and grow in the greenhouses.

DSC01950-1024x683.jpg

HPCG-KTM-rendering-smaller-1024x683.jpg

HPCG-KTM-floorplan-smaller-1024x704.jpg

unnamed-6_dv8u6f.jpg

You can read more about the Hudson Park Greenhouse Restoration Project at their website: http://hudsonparkgreenhouse.org/