Tripod Support

Hardiness Zone
8a
My neighbor has the neatest thing in her yard. She had some plants in pots that she wanted to protect from cold temperatures so she put a tripod looking thing covered in plastic over them. I'm not sure if she bought this or made it. What a great idea. I'll have to ask her.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
@Angie Being you are so far south she is probably using it as a daily heat source. Just for a little protection for a special plant. Do you know what kind of plant it is? I don't think that would work where I am except protection from wind.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
It looks just like that MoonShadows. Only on a much smaller scale. Not as many supports though. I'll see if I can get a picture of it next time I go out. She's up the street a ways. Did you make this one or buy it somewhere?
I bought this one online. I bought it to keep snow out of the pond, but mainly to take advantage of solar radiation, just like a greenhouse. Since my pond is above ground and much smaller than most hobby ponds, it is much more prone to freezing. Using the solar radiation will help to keep the water temps higher over the winter. I may still wind up with some ice, but it will be less than if I didn't have this sunbubble.

Hardiness Zone
8a
What do you use the pond for MoonShadows? We bought a house years ago from some Trinadians and they had a small fish pond out back with lots of instructions on how to take care of it. Still haven't gotten that picture but I will.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
What do you use the pond for MoonShadows? We bought a house years ago from some Trinadians and they had a small fish pond out back with lots of instructions on how to take care of it. Still haven't gotten that picture but I will.
I have 8 sarassa gold fish in it with a water lilly and a dwarf cattail. Our deck looks right down onto it.

025-Jul_18.jpg

028-Aug_09.jpg

027-Jul_25.jpg

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
@Angie I have never seen anyone do that before. It's a good idea in you area to over winter plants. We could never do that in my area....They would be frozen to death by spring.

Hardiness Zone
8a
Unfortunately waretrop, we are experiencing temperatures that never happen here. We've been in the teens at night for about a week now and not above 35 during the day. I totally forgot I had an aloe and a cactus on my back deck. They froze and will have to be tossed. :( I'll pick up another aloe in the spring. I always like to keep one of those around for burns and other healing purposes.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have some plants in my gardens that are just fine spending the winter outside usually but this year will be trying on them. We will have to wait till spring to see. We may have to replace a few ornamental ones. BUT, I'll bet the hellebore will be blooming soon. I will check later in this day when it warms up to 5 degrees... LOL

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can't wait to see those snow drops start to bloom. You know winter's over than. Unfortunately, we have some ways to go and some more cold wind to blow yet.