Shelving

Like I've mentioned elsewhere, I inherited the greenhouse I use currently but am working on building a new greenhouse. So this is the first time I've sat down and tried to design one. It's overwhelming! How are your shelves and tables organized for potted plants? What sort of material are your shelves made of? Any tips or tricks you'd like to share?

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have both store-bought metal shelves (adjustable) I bought at Lowes for something else and repurposed them for the greenhouse and will either make wood multi-level wood ones to put on top of the 55 gallon water drums or split one of these metal ones. These wire ones are powder-coated, so they stand up well to moisture.

672763103184.jpg

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
@LindaLea I don't know many hobby greenhouse people who have fixed shelving. And for precisely the reason you stated. Things change. Things need shifting.

My shelves that attach to the walls are all easily moved about. And I have moved them a few times!

@MoonShadows Those shelves look great and very practical. I love the look of wood shelves but I don't know if that would suit my needs best. I've heard that there can be some drainage issues with them, especially in comparison to the mesh-like shelves you have. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

@CanadianLori What kind of material are your wall-mounted shelves made out of? I would love to look more into those kinds of shelves if there are some varieties for moving them around easily.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
My greenhouse is a palram and has channels in the structure to insert/attach the brackets. They came with plastic shelves however I have managed to make some of the brackets work a lot harder and support wood shelves (most covered in plastic) .

Let me see if I can find a picture...
Greenhouse (15).JPG
I also retrofit other hardware to fit in my channels. This is not the greatest picture - as you can see, there is snow on the ground outside and my seedlings have just started. I also attached long poles for hanging pots. I'll try to get nicer pictures when I start moving plants out there as we get nearer to spring.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
Looks practical, Lori. I wish we had done shelves instead of raised beds. Costco has some very nice metal, powdered coated shelves very similar to yours, MoonShadows. I've been thinking of getting one or two to use inside my home, with shop lights for extra inside plants.