Seed Starting 2018

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was just outside a little while ago, and our strawberries are just starting to produce berries...about the size of a pea so far. Looks like that old seed corn from 2016 was shot. I planted it two weeks ago, and I don't see any coming up. I'll go buy fresh corn seed this morning and re-plant.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have strawberries year round in the greenhouse, but insects get to them frequently. Little holes will be eaten. I think it's pill bugs since they are all I've seen in the beds. I've used soap sprays and diatomaceous earth. Any other ideas to kill pill bugs?

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have strawberries year round in the greenhouse, but insects get to them frequently. Little holes will be eaten. I think it's pill bugs since they are all I've seen in the beds. I've used soap sprays and diatomaceous earth. Any other ideas to kill pill bugs?
Never knew they were called pill bugs until I looked them up. We have them here, but never so many I had to eradicate them. I know they love moisture.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
Never knew they were called pill bugs until I looked them up. We have them here, but never so many I had to eradicate them. I know they love moisture .

I grew up calling them pill bugs or sow bugs. Don't know if they are the same or 2 different insects. I find them under every pot in the greenhouse. They eat roots and dead foliage.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Never knew they were called pill bugs until I looked them up. We have them here, but never so many I had to eradicate them. I know they love moisture .

I grew up calling them pill bugs or sow bugs. Don't know if they are the same or 2 different insects. I find them under every pot in the greenhouse. They eat roots and dead foliage.
When I looked them up, they seem to be called pill bugs or sow bugs interchangeably. Yes, they will eat roots, too. I did see some sprays and powders you can put around the opening in the greenhouse that will keep them from coming in....but, since the greenhouse is a moist place by nature, you might never get rid of them totally.