MoonShadow's - Out of the Greenhouse 2018

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Got my corn seeds in the ground yesterday afternoon in two side-by-side 8x4 raised garden beds. The seeds I used are from 2016. I never used them the year I bought them, but last year they did well, so I'm hoping they are still good. Last year I started my corn in the greenhouse, but that really wasn't necessary so I didn't bother this year. I still have 4-5 gallon pails of chicken manure from last year that I will use to supplement the nitrogen when they start to sprout.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was able to work outside 2-3 hours each afternoon this week and got a ton of work done. Cut grass, planted flowers, planted herbs, peas and cucumbers, took down a fence and more. Yesterday after the midday storms, I went down to check out the 3 grapevines we transplanted 2 weeks ago. All three survived the transplant and are budding, so I installed posts and strung wire up to support them. Maybe we will get grapes again this year since they seem to be well on there way to new growth. Today, I hope to get the back field grass cut. We have about 2 acres of grass (and weeds!), and we cut it all with two 21" walk behind lawn mowers. Some times I enjoy it; other times it is a real chore. BTW...I am not a big lawn person and don't mind the weeds as long as the whole place looks relatively green. And, I justify it by saying some weeds in the lawn....OK, a lot of weeds in the lawn....add to the ambiance of an old farm house! laughter-01.gif

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Went into NY yesterday to see my Mom who turned 101 on Friday. When I got home I did a tour of my gardens since I wasn't around all day. I saw a few corn plant breaking ground and also some peas, cucumbers and herbs from the seeds we planted last weekend.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
What a dunce I am. I planted corn 2 weeks ago and none of it came up. I chalked it up to old seed (2 years old). So today I went to Home Depot and bought fresh seed. I was reading the back and it says to plant the seed 1/2" deep. I thought I remembered reading 1 1/2" on the other package. When I got home, I read the old package...YUP!...1/2 " So, I planted it 3x deeper than recommended. Guess I didn't have my glasses on when I planted it 2 weeks ago. Oh well......senior moment.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I hoed up the two raised gardens where I planted the corn kernels. The ones I found were soft and mussy....no sprouts. Not sure if that is because they are 2 years old or because I planted them too deep. Anyway, I planted the new kernals at 1/2" deep. They should sprout within 7-10 days.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I put 7 wheelbarrows of top soil/mushroom compost in the area of the old chicken run where I want to plant my tomatoes. Perhaps with the rain the next few days I'll get a break to be able to move most of my tomato plants out of the greenhouse and into this garden.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yesterday morning was overcast and still very wet, so in the morning we took a nice drive through the Delaware Water Gap National Park up to Milford, PA to make a delivery. We arrived home at noon, just as the sun was coming out, so we were able to venture outside and get some work done. We finished rabbit proofing and ground hog proofing the fence we extended, and I got our tomato plants in the ground...finally!

016-May_20.jpg

The cabbages and Brussel Sprouts I got moved into the garden a couple of weeks ago look like they are doing fine, too.

017-May_20.jpg