how warm can I expect?

First Name
Tim
Hello all, I have posted before about my cheapy portable greenhouse that I bought this year to help with seed starting. I had it set up in my insulated workshop and it's working great for my seed starting but now the temps are finally warming up outside enough that I can put my greenhouse outside. The temps are going to be in the 70's during the day and 40's and warmer during the night. My question is how warm can I expect the temp to be in the greenhouse during the day and also how warm will it stay at night over outside temp. if any at all. It is just a cheap plastic covered greenhouse. It does have 6 windows and the door rolls all the way up and I can put a fan inside to help with air flow. I have peppers, eggplant and tomatoes to go in it right now. I figure if it's too cold at night I can move them back into my insulated workshop as I don't want to run a heater anymore if I don't have too. Also do you think low to mid 40's will bother peppers and eggplant in the greenhouse? Thanks everybody.

Attachments

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi Tim. With 70's during the day, it is possible for the greenhouse to reach temps of 90+ very easily, and it can happen very fast. If you work away from home during the day, you will have to have someone monitor the temps and make adjustments in ventilation accordingly. Most likely this greenhouse will not stay but a degree or two above the night time outside temperature if even that. As long as you vegetables are established, they won't be hurt by night temps in the 40's; they just won't grow as fast. You really want to avoid wide swings in temps. Plants really don't like that. And, a greenhouse that gets real hot during the day and real cool during the night is not a plant's friend. In a greenhouse, you want to keep that temperature swing to a minimal. ;)

First Name
Tim
Hi Tim. With 70's during the day, it is possible for the greenhouse to reach temps of 90+ very easily, and it can happen very fast. If you work away from home during the day, you will have to have someone monitor the temps and make adjustments in ventilation accordingly. Most likely this greenhouse will not stay but a degree or two above the night time outside temperature if even that. As long as you vegetables are established, they won't be hurt by night temps in the 40's; they just won't grow as fast. You really want to avoid wide swings in temps. Plants really don't like that. And, a greenhouse that gets real hot during the day and real cool during the night is not a plant's friend. In a greenhouse, you want to keep that temperature swing to a minimal. ;)
Thank you