How to Start Seeds Indoors: The Non-Negotiables for Success

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know if you are familiar with Joe Lamp'l from Growing a Greener World® He's the Joe behind "Joe Gardener". It is an award-winning TV show appearing on national Public Television that features organic gardening, green living and farm-to-table food. Each episode focuses on compelling and inspirational people making a positive impact on the planet through gardening and shares DIY information that we can all use at home. Currently in it’s ninth season, this gardening series covers everything from edible gardening, urban homesteading and hobby farming to seasonal cooking, canning and preserving the harvest.

I get periodic emails from Joe, usually early on a Saturday morning. It's nice to be able to leisurely catch up on what is happening on GGW. This past Saturday, I read a 2-part series on the subject of this post, (it's also a podcast if you don't want to read!) and I thought it was excellent.

You can read, or listen to it, here, and check out GGW website. It's really good. Enjoy.
https://joegardener.com/podcast/037-starting-seeds-indoors-pt-1/
https://joegardener.com/podcast/038-how-to-start-seeds-indoors-the-non-negotiables-for-success-pt-2/

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am having trouble getting milkweed seeds to germinate. Is there something extraordinary that needs to be done in order to get these to sprout?
Did you stratify them first? Milkweed seeds need a period of stratification in order to germinate. It helps to break the natural dormancy cycle by exposing the seed to winter-like temperatures that help soften or crack its hard outer casing. You can put your milkweed seeds in a damp paper towel inside a zipper bag, and place in your fridge for 3 – 6 weeks and then plant, otherwise they can take months to germinate, if they germinate at all.