Homemade fertilizers

Hardiness Zone
I learn from my parents about using the water from boiling the vegetables or cooking the rice to water the plants. I'm not sure if there is that much nutrition for the plants just from boiling but looks like it's working okay so far. I also crush the eggshells and mix it with the soil once in a while.

Those are pretty common tricks, so if you find some really cool ones please don't forget to share!

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have never heard of using veggie or rice water for watering plants. I am a big user of these things. First when I can tomatoes or mushrooms I reserve the leftover that comes out of the tomatoes or the water you blanch the mushrooms in and can them along side of the food. I also use veggie water or rice water for use in the meal I am cooking. So veggie water will be the starter water for rise. So many vitamins and junk in them.

0904132057a.jpg
tomato water.jpg
mushroom5.jpg

I would be worried about using food liquid on plants for it may draw buggers... I have used egg shells and nails but most important was to wash the egg shells well before crushing them into the soil.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just make sure you cool the veggie water down before watering your plants. :eek:

With the egg shells, they take a long time to break down, so the finer you can grind them, the quicker the calcium becomes available to the plant. We use a mortise and pestle to grind our eggs shells.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have an extra little electric coffee grinder for grinding these kind of things. It really makes things fine.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yup; I thought of that too when posting, but forgot to mention it. I'm sure more folks have a small coffee grinder than a mortise and pestle. Thanks for mentioning that @waretrop

Hardiness Zone
I would be worried about using food liquid on plants for it may draw buggers...
Just make sure you cool the veggie water down before watering your plants. :eek:
I heard a similar concern in the past. In your experience, did you really see more bugs? It's been raining a lot in my area, so I wonder if the bugs appear because of the food liquid or the wet and cold weather. And I definitely let the water cool down first. I wouldn't want to harm the plants that way, though I wonder if they would probably be happy with the warmth because it's so cold lately.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think the veggie liquids may be OK to put around plants outside but I wouldn't want to put it in plants in the house or greenhouse.

It's amazing what a little knowledge makes you think about. Water you boil eggs in is full of calcium. Water your plants with that also. My thoughts. once you shell your eggs, put them back into the boiled egg water, add a half teaspoon of vinegar and boil. Your egg shells should desolve and be even better for your plants.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
I've crushed and ground up eggshells to use in my garden, but I never thought of trying to dissolve them! Interesting, and I'll have to try that. I also always use our coffee grounds and vegetable trimmings. I put earthworms into my garden and raised greenhouse beds, so I like to feed them all of these things. Instead of sprinkling the items on the surface, I like to dig small holes and bury the stuff. Over time it really enriches the soil, especially with the worms at work.