Growing Spaces 15' Growing Dome

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
2 years ago I saw a huge 50' growing dome in our town. I was so impressed that we ended up buying their smallest kit. It is 15'. Here is their site:
https://geodesic-greenhouse-kits.com/

My husband has been a lifelong DIY'er, and we decided to put it together ourselves. The company will do it if desired.
This is the area where it will be.
IMG_0048.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
That didn't turn out quite like I thought it would! Here are a few more pics of the greenhouse.

Attachments

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
That was great to see, Karen. Thanks for the pics. Starting in February, we will be offering a few sizes of the Harvest Right (The Freeze Dryer People) domes. In fact, our store will be one of the first independent Harvest Right Greenhouse Distributors in the United Sates. Their domes have a soft cover and are not as permanent as that beauty you have from Growing Spaces.

https://harvestright.com/greenhouse-why-its-better/

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
In general, we're very pleased with it. The one thing that surprised us was that there were no printed instructions. We were given a link to online instructions so we had to use a computer or phone to access them. That made it a bit harder for us! The instructions were also dated, and many improvements had been made, but the instructions weren't updated properly. When we ran into problems we had to phone the company and talk to them about it. That only happened a time or two.

The price for the kit doesn't include everything. There is a list of larger items that you have to provide. They were all easily obtained in our small rural area. We also had to add on kits for wind as we are on top of a very windy hill. They had upgraded vent openers for wind. We also added the waterfall kit for the holding pond. We added upgraded 16mm glazing because we can get quite cold here in NM. Our record for the last 8 years was -22 F.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
What is that white building behind the greenhouse in this pic? It look like an observatory.
View attachment 280
Yes, you nailed it. It's my husband's astronomical observatory with his 18 inch telescope in it. He likes to do astrophotography. I made his observatory sign. It has the Kokopelli and the comet made out of glow in the dark tiles.

Attachments

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, you nailed it. It's my husband's astronomical observatory with his 18 inch telescope in it. He likes to do astrophotography. I made his observatory sign. It has the Kokopelli and the comet made out of glow in the dark tiles.
Now, talk about cool! Did he make that from scratch or is it some type of kit? You did a beautiful job with the sign! I'll bet you guys can see a lot of stars. Here in the Northeast it is pitiful because of all the large cities. Even out here in the Poconos star gazing is awful. I remember as a kid being down at my grandparents farm in Virginia one summer and seeing the Milky Way...like somebody had painted a white stripe across the sky with a broad brush. It was so thick. Never saw anything like that before or again!

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes, he did it from scratch. It has a cement pier that goes 8 ft into the ground and about 7 ft above ground. We have construction photos but I don't want to take up the room here. He bought the dome itself, and the 18" mirror for the scope. He built all the rest himself, including the telescope mount. Our skies here used to be even better, but the town is growing and there are more lights each year. We can still see the Milky Way beautifully. Here are a few of his recent photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskey_creek_observatory/

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks, I'll tell him! He has been making telescopes and mirrors since he was in junior high school. He is still using some portable telescopes he made back then. They are around 66 years old!

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I love that your hubby has a telescope. That is outstanding.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
The one in the dome is his largest, but he has a number of 6 inch, 8 inch, 10 inch, 12 inch scopes he's completely made from scratch. He ground the mirrors, and constructed the tubes and mounts. He likes to take the smaller ones on star parties. The last solar eclipse was a great trip!

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks, I'll tell him. He really enjoys it. His college degree was in astronomy but back then the field didn't pay enough to have a family, so he changed fields and got into computers. Now that he's retired, he can play with his astronomy again.