Footings For Your Greenhouse

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
Some town zoning require footings and foundations depending on the greenhouse and some don't care. I have a large greenhouse and the town only cared about property boundries. They didn't care what I did with the greenhouse to get it up....My garage needed footings but the greenhouse had no requirements and they are nearly the same size...

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
Now we have cement blocks, dry stacked. About every 4 or 5 feet there is concrete in the holes to give it support. In these holes in the cement blocks that were filled with cement we sunk in anchor bolt. This is where the wooden sill plate fastens and then the metal frame is fastened to that.

The outside and inside are covered with fiberglass reinforced parging. Looks nice. You don't see the cement blocks and gives it support.

I'm curious. So you put dry cinderblocks with cement in holes every 4-5 feet with an anchor bolt that goes into the bottom wooden sill plates then to the frame of the greenhouse. Do I have this correct? This sounds like something I could do.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
You dry stack the block and drive a steel post in the hole so it goes into the ground a couple of feet, and fill the hole with wet cement. We used an 8 inch "J" bold into the wet cement leaving about 3 inches of the thread exposed. After all sets up line the bolts up with the sill plate and drill the hole so it sets on it.

Got it! Thank you for the reply. I have been a gardener for years but this is my first greenhouse and I want to make sure I do it right. I'm getting excited about this and I'm looking forward to the day it comes in.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
Now remember every township is different. If you need a permit you will have to go by their rules. I only needed a permit to prove that the foundation was within the border guidelines. After that they didn't want to know anything about it. Now it is different in my township.

Also greenhouse companies will tell you how to make the foundations. You should listen to them...

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh yes! Township rules; check to see the structure is 20 feet off a property line and collect a fee! But, they still put you through all the paperwork and a "blueprint" submission with written explanation in addition to having to stake out the footprint. What a racket. (n)