MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Flower Time!
This week the plan is to get my flower seeds started in the greenhouse. I plan on starting 36 each of 8 types...

yhst-61819287486445_2272_79862441.jpg
Butterfly Weed

yhst-61819287486445_2272_87092527.jpg
Columbine Double Blue Winky Seeds

yhst-61819287486445_2272_88129527.jpg
Creeping Thyme

b364e6ae4fe54f39aa0edad1becc3412.jpg
Marigold Crackerjack Mix

nasturtium-seeds-22.jpg
Nasturtium

yhst-61819287486445_2272_42680092.jpg
Verbena Florists Mix

yhst-61819287486445_2272_42930175.jpg
Zinnia Color Mix

go-wild-special-edition-wildflower-seed-mix-38.gif
A General Wildflower Seed Mix packet I got for free when I ordered the other seeds

I already started my English Lavender seeds
lavenderenglish.jpg

I also have to get out there in the beds and split my Shasta daisies, black eyed susans, and sedum. I did plant 2 each of Stella Dora Lilies and Coreopsis last year. Perhaps I'll be able to split them this year. I also want to get more of them. I have neglected my established lavender plants the past two years. They bloom well, but have a lot of dead wood. I need to tend to them too. I have to move my two red knock out rose bushes. They are not doing well where I have them. I don't think they are getting enough sun. I also bought a bag of fertilizer made just for knock outs. All these plants will have to wait a few weeks for warmer weather.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, I wound up planting more than I planned. I planted 18 jiffy pots and 61 - 6 packs (those little black plastic containers you buy in the nursery) with flower seeds. Between all the flower and vegetable seeds I have planted and the 5 vegetables I already having growing in the cold frames, I have over 700 babies to take care of in my greenhouse. :eek::unsure::)

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
811eMJucU-L._SX355_.jpg
I am a big fan of English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia). A few years back I bought a few plants. This year I decided to try my hand at starting some plants from seed. It's been almost 4 weeks since I planted them in jiffy pots in my greenhouse, and they are the only seeds I've sown that aren't coming up yet. The packet said the germination time was 10-14 days. So, yesterday I started to look up what their ideal germination temperature should be thinking maybe the temps in the greenhouse were too cold. To my surprise I found out that while their ideal germination temp are 70-80, they will germinate in temps above 40, but it will just take a little longer. I wasn't too concerned after reading that. BUT, then upon reading further, I found out the seeds need to be stratified. That came as quite a shock since the seed packet I bought said nothing about stratifying them. Bummer!

I also found out that Lavender is quite easy to propagate from cuttings, although the best time to do this is after they have flowered. With 16 jiffy pots just sitting there with most likely doomed seeds, I decided to take a chance, and I cut 16 - 6" tips off of my plants, stripped the bottom leaves and stuck one in each jiffy pot. We'll see what happens.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
I had the same thing happen. I was given variegated Rose of Sharon seeds and no one said to stratify them. They've been in the soil for almost a month and none of them have come up. I'm hoping they will make it with more time.
It's great you had the plants to use for cuttings.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's a shame. I like Rose of Sharon. I have a small row of them planted on the property line between our house and our rental house. They make a nice privacy screen in the summer. Also a few others around the property. I hope your seeds make it.