Do you have electricity in your greenhouse?

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
When we built our greenhouse, we ran an underground wire from our shed into the greenhouse. We don't use any type of grow lights, but I do have one light if I have to be out there in the dark. Mainly we use the outlet for exhaust and circulation fans...and, the radio if I'm in there for a long time. The line is on a circuit breaker in the shed, and the outlet in the greenhouse is a GFI outlet. It is important that if you run electricity to your greenhouse, whether permanent or temporary (like an extension cord) that you use GFI protection. In the case of an extension cord, you can plug it into a GFI outlet or can buy extension cords with GFI protection. Remember, the greenhouse is a wet and humid environment at times.

Do you think that for a portable greenhouse, it would be ok to use an extension cord? We have an outside outlet. What does GFI protection entail? Is it just the 3rd prong for a ground or ????

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Do you think that for a portable greenhouse, it would be ok to use an extension cord? We have an outside outlet. What does GFI protection entail? Is it just the 3rd prong for a ground or ????
If you have an outside outlet, live in the US and it was installed to code, it should already be a GFI receptacle. GFI is not just the third prong. A GFI, or GFCI - Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter device protects us from receiving electric shocks. It works by comparing the input current on the hot side to the output current on the neutral side. If there's the slightest difference in current, on the order of a few milliamps, then there is current leaking out somewhere, possibly through somebody's body. To protect us in this situation, the device very quickly cuts off the power supply to the leaking device, within 20-30 milliseconds, greatly reducing any possible human tissue damage from errant current. GFCI protection should be provided anywhere there is a receptacle installed in an area subject to moisture, as the presence of moisture greatly increases the danger of accidental shock.

A lot of electrical work performed by "handy home men" do not have GFI or GFIC installed. All too often they use standard outlets and a lot of times 15 amp type instead of 20 amp. Any outlet around any type of moisture should be of the GFI or GFIC variety and always use 20 amp. Also note that a 20 amp outlet should be installed on a 20 amp circuit breaker in your panel box. Another note, inside the home, work shop or greenhouse a GFI or GFIC outlet is required by electrical code if the outlet is within 4 foot of a water source. I see a lot of kitchens and bathrooms that would not pass a electrical inspection.

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a space in the back corner of my greenhouse that is totally dry. That is where my breaker box is which is water sealed. I have outside water proof outlets in the greenhouse with snap on covers. Works great. I also have 1 very large fan to keep the air moving and the condensation off the glass. That is one of the most important things to do in a greenhouse. You never want molds and bugs to begin to grow.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
We also have a sealed breaker box, GFI's and a light to turn on at night. I don't use any grow lights. The outlets run the undersoil fan, any heat mats I want to use and timers to turn the watering system on and off. I will be adding a small fan, soon. I have had too many bugs, and think I do need more air circulation.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I don't think grow lights are necessary except for a period if you do winter growing when the days are shorter and the sun lower in the sky. I'm always glad to see people mention circulation fans. I think these often get overlooked by new greenhouse owners who don't realize the need to keep the air moving.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
I have an outlet at the back of my house which of course is GFI and the same at the side of the house. These are both within a few feet of my greenhouses. I only use the house power for a radio because for some reason the radio doesn't like power converted from DC. and screams at me when turned on.

I made sure to leave access points for the wires, watering lines, gas line etc.

I mostly use solar power for my greenhouses. The panels run the fans during the day and I have batteries that use their collected power to operate the lights at night and some fans when heating the greenhouse... let me see if I can find a picture...

base gap greenhouse (2).jpg

and I DO use extension cords. base gap greenhouse (1).jpg

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
Like the way you have that little access to feed the lines through. I completely forgot that when we built our greenhouse, and we wound up having to dig under the foundation to feed in the electricity.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
Yes, when I first assembled the greenhouse I had it sitting directly on the deck and then decided to add a base and those inlets. I just stuff sponges in the gaps and it seems to stop any small furries from accessing the interior.