Bananas

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
We had bananas a year and half ago. Our plants go into the greenhouse for the winter and get to come out in late spring. If we didn't have the greenhouse we could never have done this.

banana tree1.jpg

banana tree2.jpg

banana tree4.jpg

It took 4 or 5 months to grow them and there were bananas on them for almost a year. As they ripened we took them off the trees. We had 3 trees that flowered and grow bunches of bananas.

Now, of course, once they reproduce the parent plant will grow pups and them die. We have allot of pups at this point.

They probably won't flower till spring 2019 because they really need a long growing season. I will be happy if they do that.

It's all been fun. They bloomed on the day we had a large garden tour...that was exciting.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
If we someday build a larger greenhouse, I want to grow bananas, coconuts and tangerines. In fact, we started "seriously" talking about building a larger one this weekend. The difficult part, and you know this from being here @waretrop, is that we have little real close backyard space before our property slopes down into that field. We could build a large one down in the field, but as we get older I doubt we would venture down there as much; that is why we want it closer. We are looking at a spot behind the jam shed and next to the old chicken coop where we have some raised gardens right now, but I estimate we could only squeeze in about a 14 x 14.

In this area....this pic is from 2015. The area looks a bit different now that we have removed the fence, compost pile, and that large barberry bush., and are now building some rock gardens down there.

004 Tomatoes & Corn.jpg

003 Tomatoes & Corn.jpg

009.JPG

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
You could grow a coconut into a small palm, but I doubt you'd ever get coconuts in a greenhouse, no matter what the size is! The trees don't bear for years, and when they do, they're very tall trees. I always laugh when I see sprouted coconuts in nurseries and people buying them. If you really want one, just buy a coconut and plant it in soil with half of it stickout of of the soil. They sprout easily and quickly if the weather is nice and warm.

First Name
Karen
Hardiness Zone
7b
You'll enjoy having the young palms. Bananas do work great if your greenhouse is large enough. We grew several different types outside when we lived in the Marshall Islands. My mom used to grow them outside in Phoenix, Arizona, but they would grow well for maybe 5 or 6 years and then they'd have a hard freeze that killed them all. Pushing plant zones only works for a while!