A successful garden means early planning

Hardiness Zone
8b
Okay realistically, I don't think you have to plan a garden this far in advance, but it's freezing cold here and I'm getting the winter blues. If I can't tend my vegetable garden yet, I might as well chat about it instead. So, what vegetables are you going to plant this growing season? Do you start with seeds, young starter plants, or a mixture depending on the vegetable?

waretrop

Staff member
First Name
waretrop
Hardiness Zone
5b
I always started tomatoes and some other things in my kitchen and them took them out to the greenhouse as they got old enough. That seemed to be easiest for me. As spring and planting time got closer I took the little plants out during the day and brought them in at night to harden them off. Just before planting time I left them out all night. Worked well. For most of my veggie gardens I bought seedlings.

I have more flower and ornamental gardens now. That keeps me busy in winter for I take clippings and start them growing during the winter. That is so much fun as we am still developing our gardens on our property and it is so much cheaper than buying for the garden. I like to buy smaller plants so I can watch them grow and curb their growing habits.

Even with that I still am looking forward to spring especially while it is 2 degrees and getting colder for this next week.

Hardiness Zone
8a
It is the time of year when I get seed catalogs in the mail and I love every one of them. I will look through them carefully and decide what I will plant where in my yard. Since we have such sandy soil I do a lot of pot planting and have found that geraniums love this climate. Hopefully I can add more color this year.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I got a great catalog in the mail the other day from Johnny's Seeds...not your typical seed catalog. It's free on this page: https://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog-request/

I used to start seeds early, but they always became leggy no matter what I did, so I stopped. I didn't have success until I built my greenhouse, since it gets a lot of sun. But, now with the great grow light I got for my kitchen garden, I'm sure I could get them started in there and then move them into the greenhouse.

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
It is the time of year when I get seed catalogs in the mail and I love every one of them. I will look through them carefully and decide what I will plant where in my yard. Since we have such sandy soil I do a lot of pot planting and have found that geraniums love this climate. Hopefully I can add more color this year.
@Angie, You need to start composting. After a few years of mixing it into that sandy soil, you could have a great garden with excellent drainage. Here in PA, we have a lot of rocks and clay. I'm lucky that the old guy who owned this house before we bought it liked to garden. While my gardens are not in the same spots as his, I did move a lot of his rich the soil to where I needed it.

Hardiness Zone
8a
I got a great catalog in the mail the other day from Johnny's Seeds...not your typical seed catalog. It's free on this page: https://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog-request/

I used to start seeds early, but they always became leggy no matter what I did, so I stopped. I didn't have success until I built my greenhouse, since it gets a lot of sun. But, now with the great grow light I got for my kitchen garden, I'm sure I could get them started in there and then move them into the greenhouse.
Thanks for the link to Johnny's Seeds. I just glanced at it and will go back later and explore. That leggy thing always happens to me when I try to start seeds. I remember my dad used to have a plant bed up in the woods in a nice sunny spot. He would take seeds up to the bed, plant them and then cover with a sheet of clear plastic. At some point he would transfer them to individual pots and put them in the sun. At night he would put them under the shed until they were mature enough to withstand day and night. I should have paid more attention to the time frames.

Thanks for the tip on composting. I'll give it some thought.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A

I really enjoy my Johnnys catalog. Reminds that I need to order new dibbles from them for my soil block maker.

I carefully plan my anual planting every year. Then change it. Again and again.

I use graph paper and mark out my little garden beds, greenhouses and cold frames Then pencil in the plants....

And change it over and over.

Plus I keep rethinking what will go in each hanging planters.b

And I keep looking at all the toys too!

MoonShadows

Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Jim
Hardiness Zone
6a
I actually think the paper Johnny's catalog is better and more interesting than the website. I really don't do much planning...just keep ordering seeds. When I start to sow them, I just try to fit them all in! I usually have a lot left over, but they are good for a few seasons.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
Raised bed 003.jpg
this was the first year then I changed the whole plan and added and on and on

I enjoy my paper copies of Johnny's, Vesey's, Stokes and WH Perrin seed catalogues. I bend the corners of the pages that interest me most and circle the plants that I might try to grow. I would never do that with a book but I get a new catalogue every year so it's okay :)

Hardiness Zone
8b
CanadianLori, I love how organized you are! I kept a detailed calendar for a couple years, but haven't found it that useful. Probably because I keep growing different things. I'm like you when it comes planting. I plan things out, then change it over and over. Just thinking about it is half the fun. Especially when it's too cold to get started. That reminds me, I need to buy more asparagus crowns.

First Name
Lori
Hardiness Zone
5A
I use this sketch of my vegetable growing areas - I keep the original blank and then scanned it into my files, then print off copies that I use to plan my vegetable placements. The structures are a bit farther apart but I wanted to keep them all on one sheet of paper. Each square = 1 foot and the beds, cold frames and greenhouses are accurately drawn. And yes, I change things around and having blank copies to print off anytime makes this really easy :) Vegetable Areas.jpg
I find that this helps me visualize the various locations and work out the suitability regarding heights. My greenhouses are small so it is nice to get things placed correctly the first time... hopefully.